Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Systemic Failures of Late

I haven't done a good job of putting my thoughts into writing lately, but I did want to share a little of what's been going on in my head. Luckily, I found a blog entry that does a great job of focusing on some of the topics I have been really concerned about, and the interconnectedness of them all. The author breaks into the "left-wing/right-wing" talk that makes me uncomfortable because it allows people on both sides to shirk responsibility--when really we all are responsible for the current state of things--but the message, that something is broken and it has to do with the anti-intellectualism strategies of many people currently in positions of power and how this feeds American antipathy, really resonates with me--and I hope it will with you as well. So just ignore any of the polarizing language. Please.

Take a look:
http://civileats.com/2009/10/22/on-american-politics-the-food-crisis-and-broken-windows/#more-5362

And for proof that the American food system is broken, read this often-referenced post:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/a-high-price-for-healthy-food/
"...a 2,000-calorie diet would cost just $3.52 a day if it consisted of junk food, compared with $36.32 a day for a diet of low-energy dense foods."

No comments:

Post a Comment