Monday, November 29, 2010

More Good News!

Today I was offered an Americorps position with New York City Coalition Against Hunger (NYCCAH) working with the Farm Fresh Initiative. I will be helping either maintain or start up a new Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program in an underserved neighborhood in New York City. CSAs are subscription-based food distribution programs that allow participants to pay upfront for a share and receive regular packages of local, in-season harvests from farms. This specific program targets all income levels by providing a variety of payment options including funds from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

I am so excited to begin working with this program, as it will allow me to address my real interest in working with food-- fighting poverty by making local, organic, nutritious food accessible to people with limited food dollars. While my classes in NYU's food studies program provide an understanding in political, economic and cultural conditions that impact the way Americans eat, this position will allow me to create options for a different way of interacting with food markets.

I am sure that this opportunity will bring about many exciting stories and challenges, and I look forward to sharing with you what I am learning in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment